There are a lot of victims. There may be limited insurance coverage. It’s important to hire a smart and experienced attorney right away.
Here is an overview of the damages that are available in Washington in personal injury and wrongful death cases.
Personal Injury Cases:
Injured persons are entitled to seek the following damages (basically split into economic and non-economic categories):
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Treatment expenses (they get to seek the amount billed rather than the amount paid by their insurance company)
- Cost of accommodation (e.g., building ramps at their house, taxi expenses if they can’t drive, cost of gardener if they can’t work in their yard, etc.)
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Fear and increased risk of future injury/fear of future injury
- (A spouse has a claim for loss of consortium; that means impact on the relationship because of the injured spouse’s injuries.)
Wrongful Death Cases:
In wrongful death cases a personal representative is appointed for the deceased person’s estate. The personal representative pursues the wrongful death claim. Here are the damages that can be recovered:
- Deceased’s treatment expenses
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Difference between the wages and income the deceased would have earned and what they would have consumed
- Pain and suffering the deceased person experienced as a result of the final injury and death.
We’re standing by to help the victims and their families. We’re AV rated and have over 20 years of experience maximizing damages recovery in personal injury and wrongful death cases.